Participating in family traditions can be a great source of enjoyment. Traditions can give you something to look forward to, rely on and take comfort in. The great thing about traditions is that they can be as simple or as elaborate as you'd like, and every family's traditions will be unique to them.
Here are some of our families favorite traditions. Some are activities that my husband and I also did when we were children, and others are activities that we started doing with our family.
- Picking apples at the Apple Orchard each fall
- Cutting down our Christmas Tree
- Going to the neighborhood parades
- Baking themed Birthday Cakes
- Making Snow Ice Cream
- Family Movie Night
In addition to enjoying the actual activity, it's also fun to reminisce about the events of years past. Doing so can bring back a flood of memories, emotions and lots of laughter.
- I can still remember going to the party supply store when I was a child and picking out decorations for my cake. While the cakes would have never won any awards, they were always perfect in my eyes.
- One year our toddler brought her umbrella with us to cut down our Christmas tree. She was protecting herself from the snow. Never mind that it wasn't even snowing!
Take a few minutes to reflect on some of your family traditions. Hopefully the memories will bring a smile to your face. And if you don't currently have any family traditions, why not start some? I promise that you'll be thankful you did.
In the end, it all comes down to truly experiencing life by spending quality time with your friends and family.