Orienteering is an outdoor adventure that is both entertaining and educational.
During the events participant (or team) receives a detailed map with checkpoints identified on it. They then need to figure out the best approach for reaching all the checkpoints in the shortest amount of time. To reach all the checkpoints, participants may need to climb hills, cross streams, choose between different trails.
It's like a treasure hunt with a map and compass!
About the North Eastern Ohio Orienteering Events
The 2012 Orienteering Events are currently scheduled throughout the year starting in April and ending in October. These events are located throughout Northeast Ohio.
The events typically offer 3-5 different course options for all different skill levels. Each course is labeled with a different color:
- White Course – Typically for beginners. The length is about a mile and all the checkpoints are on trails or in fields.
- Yellow Course – Slightly longer than the White Course and the checkpoints are located within 50 feet of a trail or field.
- Orange Course – Intermediate course that is approximately 3 miles long. The checkpoints are still fairly easy to reach, but are not directly on the trails.
- Brown, Green, Red or Blue Courses: For advanced orienteers. The length is between 3 and 6 miles and the checkpoints are more difficult to find.
Another option for beginners is to join in one of the Orienteering for Beginners events. These events are designed to teach newcomers about the sport. It include a brief lecture, a instructor led hike and a short beginner-level course (White) that participants complete.
Orienteering Event Costs
To participate in an orienteering event, you much purchase the event map. The cost is the same regardless if it is a single participant using one map, or if it is a team working together.
- Standard Orienteering Event Fee:
- $5 for Members
- $8 for Nonmembers
- If available, additional Maps can be purchased for $3
- Orienteering for Beginners: $15
Note: As a safety precaution, all orienteers much carry a whistle. If you don't have one, you can purchase one at the events for $1 each.
Joing the North Eastern Ohio Orienteering Club (NEOOC)
If you are interested in Orienteering you should consider becoming a member of the North Easter Ohio Orienteering Club. Membership has many benefits including:
- Save $3 at event hosted by NEOOC.
- Attend special member only orienteering events.
- Discounts at other orienteering clubs events, such as Orienteering Cincinnati (OCIN) and Western Pennsylvania Orienteering Club (WPOC).
To become a member, submit the completed membership form and pay $15 per person. Membership is good for one year from when it was purchased.
Orienteering sounds like a lot of fun and definitely something adventurous kids would really enjoy. I'd love to hear from anyone who's tried it before. Please leave a comment below and let us know how you liked it.