Where can you see 32 lighted animal displays that look like lemurs, grizzly bears, flamingos and a bald eagle in a pine tree? Only at the Akron Zoo's magnificent Wild Lights event select evenings in November and December!
All About Christmas Light Display at Akron Zoo
After a 16-year hiatus, the Akron Zoo brought back its incredible holiday light show in 2016 as an annual event. It is spectacular! Every animal exhibit and pathway is illuminated with holiday lights.
Helpful Tip: Purchase pre-sale tickets and get a discount on the admission cost AND early admission into the zoo.
Plus, there are photo opportunities along the way, like a sleigh near the lemur exhibit that your family can fill and snap a quick photo. You could also get your kids' picture with Santa!
I loved experiencing the zoo at night with the thousands upon thousands of dazzling lights synchronized to music lighting our path. Not to mention, it's a rare treat to experience the animals on exhibit at night.
Wild Lights has themed weekends that include live entertainment, such as roaming carolers, ice-carvers and costumed characters. S’mores (and other treats) can be bought at Mrs. C’s Sweet Shop and roasted over an open fire for the family to enjoy.
Helpful Tip: Make your visit even more memorable, check out the various themed entertainment weekends and nightly carolers schedule.
Komodo Kingdom Café is open during Wild Lights nights for a variety of food options and is also serving adult beverages (to those 21 and older with valid ID) who wish to purchase one.
See Grizzly Ridge (my favorite area) transformed into a classic holiday town or take a ride on the Wild Winter Express train (my 4-year-old's favorite). Zoo officials tell me this year there will be 30% more lights than last year, and they'll add more and more lights every year!
Wild Lights is my favorite way for our family to experience the Akron Zoo! No matter which night you come, your family will make lasting and light-filled memories!
Rock out at the Rockin’ Lighted Spectacular at Wild Lights at your Akron Zoo, presented by @akronchildrens! Dance skills not required. 😄 The entire zoo is decorated with thousands and thousands of lights, synchronized light shows and light displays! You can visit with Santa, see many animals on exhibit, roast s’mores and enjoy different themed entertainment! Get your tickets at akronzoo.org/wild-lights-events. #akzwildlights
Tips for Visiting Wild Lights Christmas Display at Akron Zoo
- If you purchase pre-sale tickets (24 hours in advance) you receive discounted price AND early admission into the zoo (an hour before those that purchase tickets at the gate).
- Thankfully the zoo allows you to bring in outside food and beverages, which is great because you're bound to work up an appetite walking around. Before you head out pack a bag of portable snacks, a few bottles of water or even a thermos mug of hot chocolate. If you don't want to bring food of your own, you can purchase items at the Komodo Kingdom Café.
- Make your visit even more memorable, check out the various themed entertainment weekends and nightly carolers schedule.
- Can't come until after Christmas? There will still be lots of opportunities. From Dec. 26-30, Santa Land will be transformed into Crafts After Christmas with multiple crafts and a Santa chair photo opportunity.
- If you have young children, you may want to bring a stroller or wagon that you are comfortable putting your child in and taking them out quickly and on a regular basis. If you forget a stroller, don’t worry too much because the zoo rents strollers out for a fee.
- Because December weather in Ohio can be very unpredictable, make sure to check the forecast before you go and dress accordingly. You'll be spending most of your time outside, so hats, gloves, heavy coats and dressing in layers is likely a good idea.
Akron Zoo Wild Lights
Come enjoy over thousands and thousands of lights and dozens of lighted displays throughout the zoo this holiday season! Nearly the entire zoo is decorated and several animals will be out.
When: Select weekend dates starting after Thanksgiving through December (view schedule)
Where: 505 Euclid Ave., Akron, Ohio 44307
Cost: Ticket Prices vary. Purchase pre-sale ticket to get a discount on the admission cost (ticket prices)
You may be interested in
- Must See Christmas Light Displays across Northeast Ohio
- Holiday Fun Guide – 100+ Things to do this Holiday Season