Silver Creek Metro Park is a 1,008 acre gorgeous park near Norton, Ohio in Summit County. It was once a dairy farm and the open fields, fence rows and a historic barn remind you of its past. It is a wonderful park to visit regardless of the season, there is beautiful fall foliage, blossoming wildflowers and trees in spring, a beach and boating to enjoy in the summer and cross country trails in the winter.
Things to do at Silver Creek Metro Park
Silver Creek is home to a variety of family fun activities: hiking, swimming, paddle boating, canoeing, kayaking, archery, horseback riding and fishing. It even includes a cross-country course on Medina Line Road.
Both walking trails are considered “easy”, perfect for couples or families of any age. Pheasant Run Trail is 1.2 miles; Chippewa Trail is 2.0 miles in length. Each trail also loops around to a pond, perfect for seeing frogs jump and fish swim. You can even cross-country ski on these trails!
Helpful Tip: If your main goal is to hike at the park, we suggest you park in the Pheasant Run parking lot because trailheads for both trails (Chippewa & Pheasant Run) and near the parking lot.
The gem of Silver Creek is the 50-acre fishing pond and swimming area at its opposite end. Fishing is popular year round. You can also rent canoes, paddle boats and kayaks on weekends and various other days to enjoy its beauty.
The beach is safe to swim in from Memorial Day through Labor Day (fee applies) and has lifeguards on duty. Inside the fenced in beach and beach house area is a fun playground for the kids, complete with slides, a tire swing and several shaded picnic tables and a shelter available for rent. The restrooms are clean and lockers are available for valuables to be safely kept. There is also a vending machine and water fountains.
Helpful Tip: The playground is located within the fenced in area for the beach.
There's so much to love about Silver Creek Metro Park. Its beauty will leave you coming back time and time again. Nature never disappoints along your walk, run or ride on horseback. Learn about the trees, take a seat on a bench to soak in Mother Nature, pick some beautiful wildflowers or watch as bunnies, squirrels and various birds romp and roam. Come see the sunrise or stay for the stunning sunset. Plan a day to check it out with those you love!
Tips for Your Visit to Silver Creek Metro Park
- The best place to park if our main goal is to hike is the Pheasant Run Parking lot. Trail heads for both trails (Chippewa & Pheasant Run) and near the parking lot.
- While there isn't a bike trail at Silver Creek, many people choose to ride their bike along the paved road throughout the park.
- Wear water shoes if planning to go in the water at all. Snail shells are abundant.
- You can also rent canoes, paddle boats and kayaks on weekends and various other days to enjoy its beauty.
- Both trails are considered “easy” which means they are great for little kids. While the paths aren't paved, we've seen families pushing kids in jogging strollers along the trails.
- The trails can get muddy in spots. Make sure to wear good walking shoes.
- Trails are mostly shady and the woods keep them cool even when hiking on hot summer days.
- Dog are allowed on the trails. Remember to bring bags to clean up after them and a bowl of water for them to drink.
- If you're a horse lover, you can bring yours to Silver Creek and explore one or both bridle trails. One is a 3.25 mile loop; the other is a 3.4 mile loop. Park at the main pond and unload there for your adventure.
Silver Creek Metropark
Archery Range – 89 Eastern Rd. Doylestown, OH 44230
Beach & Pheasant Run Parking – 5000 Hametown Rd. Norton, OH 44203
Boat Rentals & Bridal Trail – 5171 S. Medina Line Rd. Norton, OH 44203
Big Oak Area – 5199 Medina Line Rd. Norton, OH 44203
- Outdoor Activities – Over 23 ideas for an outdoor adventure
- Waterfalls in Ohio – The 27 must see area waterfalls
Leave a Reply