Another fun attraction in Louisville is the Mega Cavern. A HUGE man made cavern where visitors can do lots of unique activities including:
- Bike Course & Tours
- Tram Tours
- Mega Quest Ropes Course
- Underground Zip lines
While all the options at the Mega Cavern look fun, because of the age range of the kids with us, we choose to take the Tram Tour.
Tram Tour of Louisville Mega Cavern
The guided tour was about an hour in length and we explored many areas of the cavern. While we drove there was a recording pointing out various aspects of the cavern.
There were various scenes throughout the tour, depicting workers performing various mining activities. We made a brief stop at each scene and our tour guide provided facts and details about the scene.
Fun Fact: At points of the tour we were under the expressway and the Louisville Zoo.
On part of the tour, there was a scene of a cold war safety shelter and an explanation of how the cavern would have been used if there had been a nuclear attack on the U.S. While the content of this part of the tour wasn't overtly scary, the sensitive topic may result in questions from your kids.
Fun Fact: While you can see them, there are corvette bumpers in the floor of the cavern from when they refilled it with non biodegradable materials. My son thought this was really cool.
Tips for Visiting Mega Cavern with Kids
- There is plenty of free parking located just outside the cavern.
- Make sure to arrive 15-20 minutes early because there is a short walk from the parking lot to the ticket counter in the cavern.
- The ticket counter is located next to the Mega Quest Ropes Course, and it looks amazing If you aren't planning to do the course, prepare your kids ahead of time so they won't be too disappointed.
- The temperature in the Caverns is approximately 58 degrees all year round. Bring a light jacket or long sleeve shirt so you don't get cold during your tour.
- Have a large group visiting, be sure to call and ask about the group discounts.
Louisville Mega Cavern
1841 Taylor Ave, Louisville, KY 40213
Leave a Reply