We recently visited, Secrest Arboretum in Wooster to enjoy the fresh air and check out the natural play area with the huge slide built into the side of a hill. We had a great time. Below are pictures and details about all the arboretum's has to offer.
Things to Do at Secrest Arboretum
Secrest Arboretum is located in Wayne County at the Ohio State University's Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center's (OARDC) Wooster Campus.
Tip: When you arrive at the arboretum, you'll find a number of small parking lots. The first one is located near the restrooms and the second lot is closest to slide and play area.
We all enjoyed walking around and enjoying the outdoors. There are a number of paved walkways and brick paths that wind throughout which makes it nice for all ages to walk the pathways. There are also uniquely shaped benches conveniently located along the path, including butterflies, peacock feathers and more.
Secrest Arboretum is also a great place for a picnic. Snacks, drinks and meals can be enjoyed on one of the many tables scattered throughout the gardens.
While we enjoyed all of the gardens, the highlight of our trip was the outdoor play “fortress.” Where the kids could climb on the rocks, through the cement storm drain pipes and best of all, go down the huge slide built into the side of the hill. It was so much fun and big enough that even my husband and I were able to slide down.
Overall, we spent a little over an hour at the garden walking the pathways, enjoying the flowers and playing in the play area. It was a great family outing.
Secrest Arboretum Scavenger Hunt
It's time for an adventure! Can you solve the final mystery phrase and come out victorious at the end?!
Have a blast as you follow the map on a quest through Secrest Arboretum. Your team will look for clues, solve puzzles and complete challenges all while having fun!
Purchase your scavenger hunt now, and start your adventure any time!
Tips for Visiting Secrest Arboretum
- Google lists the address as 1680 Madison Ave, Wooster, OH 44691. Do NOT go to that address or you will end up about a half a mile away from where you really want to be. Ask me how I know! 🙂 Instead use this address: 2122 Williams Rd. Wooster OH 44691 and follow the signs that lead you to the arboretum.
- When you arrive at the arboretum, you'll find a number of small parking lots. The first one is located near the restrooms and the second lot is closest to slide and play area.
- If you’re looking for a place to get some fresh air or go to admire the beauty of nature, this is a good place to visit.
- Lots of walking with nice hills and paved paths. Very easy to push a stroller along the pathways.
- Beautiful any time of the year. Recommend visiting throughout the year to see the different flowers and plants in bloom.
- It's pet friendly and we love walking our dog at Secrest Arboretum. Remember to bring a dish for water.
- Definitely pack a picnic or snacks. There are many tables and benches located in fun places all over the gardens. The butterfly bench is a favorite.
- We visit at least once a year. The flowers are beautiful and there is information for all plants and trees. Very relaxing place to go and a local favorite!
- It's a great spot to play Pokemon Go because there are many poke stops and gyms.
- There is also an outdoor amphitheater where they often hold public classes and events. Upcoming events are listed on their website and include Outdoor Science Lessons, Guided Natural Walks and more.
Secrest Arboretum Features & Amenities
- Paved Walkways
- Benches and Tables scattered throughout the gardens
- Different Themed Gardens
- Outdoor Amphitheater
- Plenty of green space and shade
- Pavilions (I believe you can rent them)
- Restrooms (located near the front building)
- Many Public Events & Guided Tours (check their website for details)
- Natural Play Area
- Play Fortress
- Huge Slide built into the side of the hill
2122 Williams Rd. Wooster OH 44691
You may also be interested in: Outdoor Garden's & Arboretums in Northeast Ohio