Fort Island/Griffiths Park is a great place to spend the day. Located in a quiet neighborhood in Fairlawn, OH, the 60-acre park contains a large fully enclosed playground, a Learning Resource Nature Center (open select hours), a paved walking trail, and tennis and basketball courts.
Playground at Fort Island / Griffith’s Park
There are two enclosed play structures at the park that consist of multiple slides, various climbing structures, monkey bars, bridges and platforms. In addition there are two swing-sets with both regular and infant swings and picnic tables.
I personally like the surface as it is a soft, solid “rubber” material. I appreciate playgrounds with this type of surface for two reasons. 1) Because it is softer surface if one of my children fall. 2) Because my kids aren’t constantly taking their shoes off to remove small pieces of stone or mulch.
Learning Resource Center
The nature center at the park contains a number of educational exhibits and a handful of animals. The center hosts a variety of educational programs, classes and camps. Visit the Learning Center website for additional information.
Unfortunately, all the times we visited the park were after hours so we’ve never gone inside the nature center. Hopefully we’ll have an opportunity to check it out during our next visit.
There are a number of trails that wind through Fort Island Park. It is a flat terrain with paved paths through wooden areas, open spaces and by the small stream that cuts through the park. The scenery is beautiful and provides the opportunity to see many different species of birds, glacial land formations and a wetland marsh.
Pick up a trail map at the Learning Resource Center, or download it from the City of Fairlawn website.
Tips for Your Trip from Other Parents
- Enjoy a walk through the woods and bog area on the easy walking trail with an elevated Boardwalk. You may want to bring bug spray if you are visiting during the summer months.
- There are plenty of picnic tables and places to sit. You have options in the sun and in the shade. The playground is in full sun, so remember to bring sunblock or hats.
- During open hours, you can use the bathroom located in the Nature Center. If the Nature Center is closed, there is a porta-potty available.
Have Tips or Comments About Fort Island / Griffith's Park? Leave a comment below to let us know. Thanks!
Fort Island / Griffith’s Park Features & Amenities
- Large enclosed playground
- 4 enclosed playgrounds
- Two basketball courts
- Paved walking trail – View trail map
- Green Space
- Learning Resource Center – View hours
- Restrooms (located in the Learning Center during the day and a Porta-Potty when the Center is closed)
- Picnic Tables & Benches
- Drinking Fountains
- Plenty of Trees and Shaded areas
Fort Island / Griffith’s Park & The Learning Resource Center
413 Trunko Road Fairlawn, OH 44333
You may also be Interested In: