Winter in Northeast Ohio can be rough, but don’t let the cold temperature and snow keep you from having fun this season. If you’re looking for ideas and inspiration for family friendly wintertime fun in Northeast Ohio, this list is for you!
100 Things to Do in Northeast Ohio this Winter
I’d love your input too! Are there events on the list that you’ve been to before? Any other recommendations? Please leave a comment below or submit the details here. That way we all know about the best places to be and things to do this winter.
Winter Fest at Lock 3
For the 13th consecutive winter, the City of Akron will provide residents and visitors a season of outdoor fun and activities for adults and children. Northeast Ohio’s most popular spot to ice skate and celebrate the holiday season will feature family-friendly events and attractions all winter…
Most kids love the snow and for some reason the cold never seems to bother them. Grab your coats and boots, channel your inner child and head out to enjoy the fun outdoor winter activities. Just be sure to have the Hot Chocolate waiting for your return!
Best Sled Riding Hills in Northeast Ohio – With over 60 locations to choose from, there is sure to be a hill near you.
Indoor & Outdoor Ice Rinks – Northeast Ohio is home to a handful of seasonal outdoor rinks. Admission is typically inexpensive (and sometimes FREE) and there is a small fee to rent ice skates (assuming you don’t have a pair of your own).
Northeast Ohio Ski Resorts – Ready to hit the slopes? Whether for skiing, snowboarding or tubing Northeast Ohio has a number of ski resorts to meet your needs. All have trails ranging from beginner to expert and offer classes for various skill levels.
Did you know that there are 30+ locations that offer trails for Cross Country Skiing or Snowshoeing? Some locations even offer lessons and free equipment rental.
Grab your smart phone, download the free geocaching app and head out on a Geocaching scavenger hunt. The snow can make it even more challenging!
Head to the zoo to see the animals. During the colder months the animals are often more active in their enclosures.
Because the weather is so unpredictable in Northeast Ohio, finding a great indoor spot during the cold winter months is often a necessity. Below are some great options that will keep you out of the cold this season!
Indoor Play Centers provide kids (and adults) the ability to jump, play and burn off extra energy. Enjoy Laser Tag, Inflatables, Trampoline Parks, Roller Skating and more!
You could even play a round or two of Glow in the Dark Mini Golf
Head to Avon Lake Public Library’s DiscoveryWorks a fun an unique indoor play area with one area designed for infants through age 7, and another Tweens area for age 8 and older.
And you can also head to the FREE Indoor Playland at First Christian Church, in North Canton. It’s open the public during select days/hours during the week.
Northeast Ohio Museums & Science Centers – Ranging from Dinosaurs to Classic Cars and everything in between. There are options the whole family will enjoy.
Admission is always FREE for the Cleveland Museum of Art and they offer various special touches to make it a family friendly destination including. They also offer free family fun activities on the second Sunday of each month. Themes and activities change monthly. Note: Sign up for the FREE Northeast Ohio Family Fun Newsletter so you don’t miss out
Check out the free activities the first Saturday of each month at the Massillon Museum. The activities are open to all age and incorporate a new theme each month. No registration is required.
FREE or Discounted Admission to Area Museums on Martin Luther King Day – Head out early to avoid the crowds.
See historical airplanes and more at MAPS Air Museum
Take a tour of Harry London’s Chocolate Factory, learn how chocolate is made and get some free samples too
Use the winter months to check out a new class or lesson for your kids. There are a wide variety of classes and lessons available including: Arts & Crafts | Horseback Riding | Martial Arts | Music Lessons
You can also check out some of these free programs:
- Home Depot Kids Workshops – Home Depot stores across the country offer classes for children (ages 5-12) on the first Saturday of each month. During the classes each child will build a wooden craft to take home along with an official home depot apron and workshop pin.
- Lowe’s Build and Grow Clinics – During select Saturdays Lowe’s Home Improvement stores host a FREE Build and Grow Kids Clinic where kids can build their own wooden project. Project themes change each week. In addition to the building fun, each child receives a free apron, goggles, and project pin.
- Michaels Kids Club – Michael’s stores offer an occasional Free Family Craft Time as well as a Kids Club on Saturdays.
- Crafts for Kids at Lakeshore Learning Center – Each Saturday, Lakeshore Learning Centers offer a free Crafts for Kids program.
- Family Open Studio Art House Inc – Create a family art project at Art House Inc for FREE. Each month has a different theme and Art House provides the materials.
- FREE Glass Blowing Demonstrations at Canal Fulton Glassworks – Every Saturday you can stop into Canal Fulton Glassworks to watch Glass Blowing Demonstrations by the talented artists.
Enjoy a free kid’s meal at one of the restaurants that offer Kid’s Eat Free
Here are some great ways to celebrate the winter holidays.
Note: Holiday event listings are updated yearly with current information available about a month prior to the holiday
Christmas Events – Comprehensive list of Christmas Events & Activities in Northeast Ohio
Take the Family out to choose and Cut Your Own Christmas Tree. There are many farms in Northeast Ohio that offer this activity and more.
Ring in the New Year with this Kid Friendly New Years Eve Events Note – List will be updated in mid December
Find a way to remember Martin Luther King Junior Day and celebrate the day off from school. Note – List will be updated in early January
Check out the fun events happening while the kids are off school on President’s Day. Note – List will be updated in early February
Find a fun way to celebrate Valentines Day and let your kids know how special they are. Note – List will be updated in mid-January
FREE Winter Break Fun – Over 20 Things to do with the kids over winter break. And the best part is that they are FREE! Note – List will be updated in mid December
So how about you? Are there any locations on the list that you’ve been to before? Attractions you’re hearing about for the first time? I’d love for you to leave a comment about the places on the list you’d recommend or if there are any places you know of that didn’t make the list.
You may also be interested in:
- Weekend Fun – Weekly picks for the upcoming weekend
- Ultimate List of Things to Do with Kids in Northeast Ohio
- FREE Weekly Newsletter – Subscribe to get the email newsletter delivered to your inbox one a week. That way you are always up to date on the fun happening across Northeast Ohio.