If you’re looking for family friendly places to go and things to do with kids in Northeast Ohio, look no further. Below you’ll find details on over 300 family friendly events, activities and local attractions.
Use this list as a resource to visit and discover the many great local attractions NE Ohio has to offer. Most are open all year round, while some are seasonal activities. I’ve even included many FREE things to do with kids in Northeast Ohio!
I hope you find it helpful as you as planning outings with your family and friends. And if so, please share with anyone else that might find it beneficial too!
Remember to LIKE Northeast Ohio Family Fun on Facebook to keep up to date on the latest Northeast Ohio fun!
Indoor Play Centers
Indoor Play Centers in Northeast Ohio – Indoor playgrounds are a great option anytime of the year. During the winter, kids can burn off extra energy when it’s too cold to play outside. And during the summer, you can beat the heat by running and playing in the comfort of an air conditioned room.
Outdoor Play Centers
Outdoor Play Centers in Northeast Ohio – Spend a day with the family at one of these great outdoor locations. Whether you are looking for mini golf, batting cages or bumper cars each of the locations offer fun options for the entire family.
Museums & Science Centers
Museums & Science Centers in Northeast Ohio – There are many many unique, educational and fun museums and science centers located in Northeast Ohio. Plan a trip with your children to make education fun!
Zoos, Aquariums & Wildlife Preserves
Northeast Ohio Zoos, Aquariums & Exotic Animals – Feed exotic animals from your car, enjoy various zoo programs throughout the year, underwater adventures, drive thru safaris and much more.
Fun on the Farm
Farms Across Northeast Ohio – There are many farms in Northeast Ohio that offer educational tours. Get up close with farm animals, meet the farmers and learn about what it takes to be a farmer. The farms below offer various tours and special events throughout the year.
You may also be interested in:
Gardens & Arboretums
Gardens & Arboretums – Another way to get outside and enjoy the beauty of nature is by visiting a local botanical garden. There are many to choose from and most offer a variety of educational activities geared toward children.
Parks & Playgrounds
Parks & Playgrounds across Northeast Ohio – Get outside and enjoy the many state, local and neighborhood parks across Northeast Ohio. Let the kids run and play on the playgrounds, take a hike along the trails or bring along a Frisbee or ball and have a game of catch. There’s no shortage of outdoor fun to be had! Plus, read the reviews and see pictures of the local playgrounds we’ve visited.
Outdoor Water Parks
Outdoor Water Parks across Northeast Ohio – During the warm months, cool off at one of these water parks. Each offer a variety of different amenities including, water slides, playgrounds, lakes, kiddie pools and more.
Indoor Water Parks
- Castaway Bay (Erie County – Sandusky)
- Great Wolf Lodge (Erie County – Sandusky)
- Splash Harbor (Richland County – Bellville)
Local Beaches – Even though we’re miles from the ocean, there are still some nice beaches in Northeast Ohio. So pack up your towel and sunblock and head out to the beach this summer.
FREE Things to to in Northeast Ohio - Thankfully it doesn’t have to cost at lot to have fun with your family. Northeast Ohio is full of FREE (and low cost) family activities and events taking place each day.
Arts & Crafts for Kids
Arts & Crafts – Let your kids express their creativity by painting, creating pottery, glass blowing, making handmade jewelry, building wooden projects and more. Various locations across the region offer a variety of children & family classes, private instructions, demonstrations and more.
Music Classes for Kids
Music Classes for Kids – There are many great locations across Northeast Ohio that offer Music Lessons for Kids of all ages. From private to group lessons, learning to sing to playing an instrument, there are plenty of options.
Theater & Performing Arts
Take your children to an musical or theater production geared toward children or acting classes and watch their imaginations soar.
- Playhouse Square – Children’s Theater Series (Cuyahoga County – Cleveland)
- Talespinner Children’s Theatre (Cuyahoga County – Cleveland)
- CityMusic Cleveland (Cuyahoga County – Cleveland)
- Cleveland Public Theatre (Cuyahoga County – Cleveland)
- Huntington Playhouse Youth Theatre (Cuyahoga County – Bay Village)
- Great Lakes Theater (Cuyahoga County – Cleveland)
- The Rust Belt Theater Company (Mahoning County – Youngstown)
- The Youngstown Playhouse (Mahoning County – Youngstown)
- Canton Palace Theatre (Stark County – Canton)
- Voices of Canton (Stark County – Canton)
- Players Guild Theatre (Stark County – Canton)
- The Carnation City Players (Stark County – Alliance)
- Canton Symphony Orchestra Kids Concerts (Stark County – Canton)
- Akron Civic Theatre (Summit County – Akron)
- Magical Theatre Company (Summit County – Barberton)
- EJ Thomas Hall (Summit County – Akron)
- Akron Youth Symphony Conterts (Summit County – Akron) *FREE
Festivals & Fairs
There are festivals held each month of the year with focuses ranging from seasonal celebrations, animals, foods, ethnic festivals and more. Most offer FREE admission with a fee for various activities and foods. Below is a list of some of our favorites festivals and fairs. Be sure to visit OhioFestivals.net for all your festival needs.
- Comprehensive Schedule and Reviews of Ohio Festivals (Northeast Ohio and Beyond)
- Maple Syrup Festivals
- County Fairs (Northeast Ohio)
- International Children’s Festival at Playhouse Square (Cuyahoga County – Cleveland)
- Yankee Pedlar Festival (Stark County – Clays Park)
- Summit for Kids (Summit County – Akron)
- WKDD KidsDay (Summit County – Green)
Holiday Events & Activities
Holiday Fun in Northeast Ohio – Many local attractions offer fun family friendly (and sometimes FREE) holiday activities throughout the year. From Martin Luther King Jr. Day to New Years Eve and every holiday in between. Details will be updated about a month before the holiday so you’ll have time to plan. Don’t miss out, Sign up for our FREE Weekly Newletter and LIKE Northeast Ohio Family Fun on Facebook
Sports & Recreation
Whether you prefer watching others play or you like to get in the action yourself, there are plenty of sports options in Northeast Ohio. From professional sports teams, sports complexes, athletic events and more. Make it a point to get active and exercise with your children. After all, the family that plays together, stays together!
- Bankshot Basketball (Northeast Ohio)
- Batting Cages (Northeast Ohio)
- Bowling (Northeast Ohio)
- Camping (Northeast Ohio)
- Canoeing & Kayaking Adventures (Northeast Ohio)
- Fishing Derbies (Northeast Ohio)
- Frisbee/Disc Golf (Northeast Ohio)
- Geocaching (Northeast Ohio) *FREE*
- Glow in the Dark Indoor Miniature Golf (Northeast Ohio)
- Gymnastics (Northeast Ohio)
- Horseback Riding (Northeast Ohio)
- Laser Tag (Northeast Ohio)
- Roller Skating Rinks (Northeast Ohio)
- Skateparks (Northeast Ohio)
- Poker Run Bicycle Ride – May 19th, Sept 14th (Stark County – Massillon)
- The Great Amazing Race Cleveland – (Cuyahoga County – Cleveland)
- Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon Kids Fun Run – May 18th (Cuyahoga County – Cleveland)
- Cleveland Browns Football – Jr. Backers Kids Club (Cuyahoga County – Cleveland)
- Cleveland Cavaliers Basketball – Cavaliers Kid’s Club (Cuyahoga County – Cleveland)
- Lake Erie Monsters Ice Hockey – Monsters Kid’s Club (Cuyahoga County – Cleveland)
- AFC Cleveland Soccer (Cuyahoga County – Cleveland)
- Tree Frog Canopy Tours (Holmes County – Glenmont)
- Lake County Captains Baseball – Skipper’s Lil’ Buddies Club (Lake County – Eastlake)
- Lake County Speedway (Lake County – Painesville)
- Lake Erie Crushers – FREE Kids Club (Lorain County – Avon)
- Lorain County Ironman Baseball (Lorain County – Lorain)
- Lorain County Speedway (Lorain County – Elyria)
- Phantoms Ice Hockey – Phantoms Kid’s Club (Mahoning County – Youngstown)
- Canton Charge Basketball (Stark County – Canton)
- Akron Marathon Kids Fun Run – Sept 28th (Summit County – Akron)
- Akron Aeros Baseball – Orbit’s Kid’s Club (Summit County – Akron)
- Akron Racers Softball (Summit County – Akron)
- Akron Rubber City Roller Girls (Summit County – Akron)
- Mahoning Valley Scrappers Baseball – Kids Club (Trumbull County – Niles)
Day Trips, Tours & Unique Excursions
Northeast Ohio is home to make unique tourist attractions. Visit any of the locations below and become a tourist in your hometown.
- Train ride on the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad (Akron, Canton, Cleveland stations)
- AC&J Scenic Train Rides (Ashtabula County – Jefferson)
- Monticello III Horse-Drawn Canal Boat Rides (Coshocton County – Coshocton)
- Historic Roscoe Village Tours (Coshocton County – Coshocton)
- Gospel Hill Lighthouse Tour (Coshocton County – Coshocton) *FREE*
- Lolly the Trolley Tours of Cleveland (Cuyahoga County – Cleveland)
- Explore Squires Castle (Cuyahoga County – North Chagrin Nature Center) *FREE*
- Tour the William G. Mather Steamship (Cuyahoga County – Cleveland)
- Visit the Lake Erie Shores & Islands (Erie County – Sandusky)
- Tour an Amish Home and take a ride on a Horse & Buddy (Holmes County – Millersburg)
- Tree Frog Canopy Tours (Holmes County – Glenmont)
- Ride on a Canal Boat pulled by a Horse (Stark County – Canal Fulton)
- Tour Glamorgan Castle (Stark County – Alliance)
- Harry London Chocolates Factory Tour (Stark County – North Canton)
- Friday Lunch Trolley Rides in Akron (Summit County – Akron) *FREE*
- Atwood Queen Cruise Boat Ride (Tuscarawas County – Mineral City)
- P. Graham Dunn Factory Tour (Wayne County – Dalton)
Because of all the snow Northeast Ohio gets during the winter, there are plenty of things to do outdoors to enjoy the snow. Cure your cabin fever by participating in any of the following activities.
- 100 Things to Do in Northeast Ohio this Winter
- Hit the hills at one of the best Sled Riding Hills in Northeast Ohio (Over 60 Locations) *FREE*
- Snowshoeing at the Lake Metroparks (Lake County), Lorain County Metroparks (Lorain County) Cuyahoga Valley National Park (Summit County) and The Holden Arboretum (Lake County)
- Ice Skating on the frozen ponds in the Summit Metroparks (Summit County)
- Cross Country Skiing at Mill Creek Metroparks (Mahoning County), The Holden Arboretum (Lake County), Lake County Metroparks (Lake County), Summit Metroparks (Summit County) and the Cuyahoga Valley National Park (Summit County)
- Skiing & Snowboarding Northeast Ohio – Did you know that there are five different local ski resorts with options to ski, snowboard, and go tubing?
- The Rink at Wade Oval (Cuyahoga County – University Circle) *FREE Admission*
- Lock 3 Ice Rink (Summit County – Akron) *FREE Admission*
- Ice Rink at Falls River Square (Summit County – Cuyahoga Falls) *FREE Admission for Residents*
With the kids out of school for summer break, you’ll likely be looking for things to do to keep them entertained. Check out all of these fun family friendly summer programs for kids.
- 100 Things to Do in Northeast Ohio this Summer
- FREE Summer Fun in Northeast Ohio: 50+ activities that won’t cost you a thing!
- Outdoor Water Parks
- Local Beaches
- Northeast Ohio Spraygrounds, Spray Parks & Wading Pools (Over 45 locations) *FREE*
- FREE Indoor & Outdoor Swimming Pools in Cleveland *FREE*
- Inexpensive Summer Movie Programs for Kids
- Summer Reading Programs for Kids *FREE*
- FREE Outdoor Movies *FREE*
- Attend a Summer Camp
- Summer Concerts *FREE*
- Get some fresh, locally grown produce at one of the Northeast Ohio Farmers Markets
Now that the heat of Summer is behind us, be sure to get outside and enjoy the beautiful colors, sights and sounds of fall.
- 100 Things to Do in Northeast Ohio this Fall
- Pumpkin Patches, Corn Mazes, Hay Rides & More
- Pick Your Own Apple Orchards
- Family Friendly Halloween Events & Activities
- Fall Foliage Driving Tours in Northeast Ohio *FREE*
As you can see, Northeast Ohio has lots of fun family friendly attractions! I’d love for you to leave a comment about the places on the list you’d recommend or if there are any great places you know of that weren’t mentioned.
You may also be interested in: